Where have I been?

I’ve been busy… So on January 26th I went in for my regular physical and my doctor found two lumps, one in each of my breasts, I was freaking out at that point, thinking this could end my hike.  Don’t worry this story has a happy ending.  On the 28th I went in for an ultrasound and the two lumps turned out to be dense tissue (normal) but they did find a small mass on my left breast, I was then scheduled for a biopsy on February 4th.  At that point I was freaking out but trying to channel my inner Trevor and not think about it because until we had results we couldn’t do anything about it.  Stopping myself from spiraling out of control took all the energy I have but we made it to biopsy day.  The doctor looked at the mass with the ultrasound and was pretty confident that it was going to turn out to be nothing.  I said “if you don’t think its anything now that you’re seeing it “live” then, you can get away from me with those needles” he laughed and explained it was better to be safe than sorry especially with my upcoming hike.  We talked about the A.T. all the way through the procedure in order to keep me occupied, he had some tips on foot care, nothing I haven’t heard before but hearing it from a doctor with a long needle going all the way through your breast makes it more real.  They collected 3 samples from the mass going in from the right side all the way over to the left to get it (I know he explained that it was necessary to go the long route but the pain after says otherwise) then they placed a microscopic clip inside so that during future exams or possible surgeries they would find it easily.  After he took the samples he was very confident that the tests would show it was a cyst, I’m pretty sure it was the first time in two weeks I breathed normally.  I had my first and hopefully my last until I’m 40 mammogram and I was sent home to await results.  I biopsy itself was painless but the next day I was sore and had a small stabbing pain at the incision site.  I was still very anxious about the results because I have the worst luck when it comes to medical stuff so I wouldn’t breathe easy until Friday.  Friday afternoon at 4:25P I saw I had a message from the doctors office I listened to it and was told to call back by 4:30P I called right away and after the lady on the phone asked my several ridiculous questions such as “how are you?” “Any concerns with the incision area?” “Any weekend plans?” here I am on the phone waiting from possibly life changing test results and you want to discuss my weekend plans? I’m sure she was asking because she was waiting for a computer to load or something but really? Finally we got the results, benign! It was fatty tissue, cyst like materials, and a few solids.  So I’m cleared to go hike other than needing a dental crown put on.  I didn’t want to put this information into a blog for several reasons I was trying to limit the number of people worrying, I wanted all the information first, I didn’t really want to talk about it, and I needed time to process things.  I can tell you that I didn’t handle this very well with my friends or family, I was so caught up in it that I would forget to tell a friend or I would tell someone the next step and find out they didn’t know anything about it and in one case I share the news of the biopsy via text message, looking back on it I should have conducted myself better but I needed to be selfish to keep sane, this I know was not helpful to the people I love and care about and I will do better next time. Now onto some hiking news.

I returned my old pack and got a sleeping bag liner, a journal, a space pen, and a few more pairs on socks.  Heidi ordered me a SPOT Gen 3 so people can keep track of me back home.  I am carrying it because I have terrible luck and am accident prone but mostly because it will make people at home feel more comfortable! I am planning on packing up my new pack and going hiking tomorrow morning with it, on Wednesday I plan to take it to weigh in and see exactly how much it weighs fully loaded with 7 days of food (the maximum I ever anticipate having to carry) Heidi and I have a loose itinerary of the days leading up to my departing from Springer and now the count down begins.  30 days until I get on the bus and 34 days until I leave Springer. I’m so pumped and scared all at the same time! I’ve only got about 15 days that I can still get knitted goods out to people so please consider donating or ordering something so I can make the most of this last few weeks knitting.  I am currently working on two projects so I’m only taking orders on a first come first serve basis.


As always to donate to my hike and get your own hand knitted goods go to:


You can always contact me to discuss a project and talk about pricing for something specific.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: